|THERE ARE 5 ITEMS WHICH ARE PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT.
1) A good tent with aluminum poles that can withstand strong gusts of wind.
LAFUMA CAMP 3
3 persons: Good insulation and good resistance to aging. double roof mounts first, and, in case of rain, the room can be mounted away. Multipurpose use and occasional mountaineering, extreme outside conditions.
2) A good sleeping bag to keep you warm during the night and that can support freezing temperatures.
LAFUMA CAMP 3
S0° ultralight Sleeping Bag
Sleeping at temperatures close to 0°C (HIKING and BIVOUACKING use).
Comfort T° 1°C, limit -5°C (NE 13537). Anti-cold flaps on neck and zip
Can be twinned to make a double. Zip the right zip to the left zip.
Compression bag. Volume: 10.7 / 12.5 / 16.5 Litres
WE RENT THIS SLEEPING BAG FOR 2€ PER DAY
3) A stove to cook food and have a warm coffee in the morning.
You can buy this Korean stove in Ulaan Baatar for 20 euros and you can find gas bottle in the big villages all around the country.
A bit bulky but you can always offer it as a present to a nomad family before you leave. You'll make them very happy.
If you don't want to bother, we rent this stove with basic cooking equipment (small pot, frying pan, plate, cup, cutlery) for 2€ per day.
|4) A GPS to avoid going in circles, as it is common if you rely on the local maps (often false) and information, misinterpreted, that you can get from the nomads.
ETrex 10 has an enhanced 2.2" monochrome display that’s easy to read in any lighting situation. Both durable and waterproof, eTrex 10 is built to withstand the elements. Its easy-to-use interface means you’ll spend more time enjoying the outdoors and less time searching for information. eTrex 10 features the legendary toughness that’s built to withstand the elements – be it dust, dirt, humidity or water, none of which are a match for this storied navigator.
WE RENT THIS GPS FOR 2€ PER DAY
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A SMARTPHONE. DOWNLOAD THE FREE APPLICATION - MAPS.ME - ON YOUR SMARTPHONE SO YOU CAN USE THE GPS WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION. WORKS PERFECTLY IN THE MONGOLIAN STEPPE.
|5) Finally, a Mongolian phrasebook with plenty of essential words and phrases to deal with the nomads in the middle of the Gobi desert.
This is the only Mongolian language guide available, with an extensive vocabulary, plenty of essential words and phrases, notes on pronunciation, culture and, for the more adventurous, grammar. Make your journey to this fascinating country complete with this useful language kit.
YOU CAN BUY THIS PHRASEBOOK BY CLICKING ON THE IMAGE.
As you will visit nomadic families throughout the country, it is good to offer them some small gifts to thanks them for their hospitality. eg balloons and games for small children, sweets, tobacco, cigarette rolling papers, small bottles of perfume or face cream.
A NOT LIMITED LIST OF THINGS TO TAKE WITH YOU
- A motorcycle jacket (leather or textile)
- A rainsuit
- A foulard
- A good pair of sunglasses
- Motorcycle boots or hiking shoes
- A pair of sandals
- A pair of gloves
- A polar fleece jacket for cold nights
- A swimsuit (to swim in rivers)
- A canvas pants
- A hat or scarf
- Headlamp (+ batteries)
- Snacks, cereal bars and cookies are welcome to complete the ordinary and can be found in UB.
- No need to bring with you an electric adapter. Mongolian plugs are identical to the Europeans.
- Mattress. However, for fans of comfort, you can slip into your bag a small self inflating-mattress. (Thermarest are great!)
- Bring with you a very warm sleeping bag (- 5 comfort) and possibly a sleeping bag sheet.
Finally some small gifts for the nomads
-Inflatable balloons bic lighters, small pocket torch, samples of perfume, soap, shampoo. Small toys that Mc Donald gives free (even if they are old) are also highly appreciated by nomads as well as card games.
If you have a health problem.
Consult your doctor first for advice on the medicines to take with you during your trip
- Take some Imdodium for diarrhea, Dulcolax for constipation
- Panadol, Pandiene or Disprin for headache
- A decongesting drug for respiratory infections
- Solar cream, mosquitoes repellent, Betadyne, bandaid, balsam for lips, lingettes
- Your personal amenities